I have 61 porcesses running
payne
2008-02-10 04:16:00 UTC
And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical computer and all
same components. He has 48 processes and ram at 26%. What do i do from here.
David H. Lipman
2008-02-10 04:30:47 UTC
From: "payne" <***@discussions.microsoft.com>

| And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical computer and all
| same components. He has 48 processes and ram at 26%. What do i do from here.

Reduce the number of programs you load at startup via MSCONFIG.EXE .
--
Dave
payne
2008-02-10 04:42:01 UTC
i dont know how to identify what to keep and what not too.
HEMI-Powered
2008-02-10 12:23:08 UTC
=?Utf-8?B?cGF5bmU=?= added these comments in the current
discussion du jour ...
Post by payne
i dont know how to identify what to keep and what not too.
Again, please look to see what is running on your PC and your
brother's PC. Be VERY careful about shutting down processes if
you're not 100% sure you don't need them. e.g., don't shut down
system processes. In my case, many of my apps, e.g., Roxio Easy
Media Creator 8 and my Maxtor external HD have a number of
utilities that run as background tasks rather than apps that show
up in the Systray. Since I do not use these utilities and can
easily recognize them in Task Manager's list, I did go to
msconfig and turn them off at start-up.

Perhaps if you're still unsure, you may want to copy the list of
processes on both PCs to the Clipboard and post them here for
people to comment on.

Good luck! BTW, are you seeing some sort of problem, e.g., slow
operation or instability on your PC and have you scanned for
malware?
Post by payne
Post by David H. Lipman
| And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical
| computer and all same components. He has 48 processes and
| ram at 26%. What do i do from here.
Reduce the number of programs you load at startup via
MSCONFIG.EXE .
--
Dave
HP, aka Jerry

"Never complain, never explain" - Henry Ford II
philo
2008-02-10 15:00:46 UTC
Post by David H. Lipman
| And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical computer and all
| same components. He has 48 processes and ram at 26%. What do i do from here.
Reduce the number of programs you load at startup via MSCONFIG.EXE .
If you run msconfig to take applications out of startup...
the only thing you probably need there is your virus checker and firewall.

If it turns out that you took out something else that was needed.
you can simply re-run msconfig and put it back
payne
2008-02-10 04:46:00 UTC
I forgot to mention that our startup screens in msconfig are the same. we
have to same amount of check marks.
HEMI-Powered
2008-02-10 12:24:44 UTC
Post by payne
I forgot to mention that our startup screens in msconfig are
the same. we have to same amount of check marks.
I didn't see this before I replied twice earlier. Since both PCs
appear to start the same, is the list of running apps and what
you're both doing also pretty much identical? Looking at the full
list of running processes might give you some clues. Please see
my other 2 replies to you for some suggestions.

HEMI-Powered
2008-02-10 12:19:25 UTC
David H. Lipman added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...
Post by David H. Lipman
| And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical
| computer and all same components. He has 48 processes and
| ram at 26%. What do i do from here.
Reduce the number of programs you load at startup via
MSCONFIG.EXE .
Pretty dangerous advice if the OP is not experienced as Windows
could be cripped and/or other apps, malware protection, other
things unrelated to what is actually being used to do useful work.
Better perhaps to investigate what the processes are and determine
what is "normal" for a given PC config and a given set of running
apps.

VanguardLH
2008-02-10 06:58:06 UTC
So what is broke?
HEMI-Powered
2008-02-10 12:17:16 UTC
Post by payne
And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical
computer and all same components. He has 48 processes and ram
at 26%. What do i do from here.
I have only a modest number of apps on my task bar and I have 63
processes running. But, don't forget that many are either system
processes or hidden processes to support your open apps.

I'm not sure of what you mean by 38% or 26% RAM nor what your and
your brother's total RAM is, but of my 4 gig, one is reserved by
Win XP and cannot be addressed. Task Manager shows right now that
of about 3 gig installed, only about 2.1 gig or so is available,
so that would be around 26% for me as well.

But, if I am in the middle of processing digital camera images,
both a memory and CPU intensive task, available memory goes way
down, CPU goes way up, and I/O generally goes way up. Ditto if I
spawn off a number of background tasks. So, before anyone can
answer your question intelligently, please tell us more about the
2 PC and what is running during your calculations. What you see
may be entirely normal for you and your brother but just
different.

P D Sterling
2008-02-10 13:24:40 UTC
pardon my charging in on your thread; I am concerned about slow
performance, and recently checked, ah, whatever you call it,
Shift|Control|Delete, and was disturbed that over 30 "processes" were
running. I know how to limit startup apps, and actually have 1, soon to
become 0. has anyone written a paper or commentary which explains what
"bfltzpk.exe" is and what it does? (named from the Al Capp character of
fame)

I would appreciate any information on this topic

Regards,

P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York
different.
David H. Lipman
2008-02-10 14:04:11 UTC
From: "P D Sterling" <***@hotmail.com>

| pardon my charging in on your thread; I am concerned about slow
| performance, and recently checked, ah, whatever you call it,
Shift|> Control|Delete, and was disturbed that over 30 "processes" were
| running. I know how to limit startup apps, and actually have 1, soon to
| become 0. has anyone written a paper or commentary which explains what
| "bfltzpk.exe" is and what it does? (named from the Al Capp character of
| fame)
|
| I would appreciate any information on this topic
|
| Regards,
|
| P D Sterling
| New York, Texas & Texas, New York

In the future, please create your own thread and not hijack anothers thread.

bfltzpk.exe has a nigh probability of being malware !

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctipp.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe

http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

English:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2008/01/09/scan-your-computer-with-multiple-anti-virus-for-free/

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Dave
HEMI-Powered
2008-02-10 14:11:51 UTC
P D Sterling added these comments in the current discussion du
jour ...
Post by P D Sterling
pardon my charging in on your thread; I am concerned about
slow performance, and recently checked, ah, whatever you call
it, Shift|Control|Delete, and was disturbed that over 30
"processes" were running. I know how to limit startup apps,
and actually have 1, soon to become 0. has anyone written a
paper or commentary which explains what "bfltzpk.exe" is and
what it does? (named from the Al Capp character of fame)
I would appreciate any information on this topic
Regards,
P D Sterling
New York, Texas & Texas, New York
No need to apologiz, P.D. Yours is an on-topic question.

Shift|Ctrl|Del is supposed to bring up Task Manager or you can
right click on the Task Bar. To see the running processes, click
on the Processes tab.

Now to your question, as I understand it: as I mentioned, I have
around 60 processes running at any given time. Right now, the
apps on my Task Bar include Explorer, IE6, OE6, PSP 9 Jasc Media
Center, Notepad, and XP Search. If I closed some of these, the
number of running processes would drop, but not by much more than
the number of apps closed. OTOH, depending on what I am doing in
these apps or if I bring up other apps that require supporting
background processes, the number running may go up dramatically.

You won't necessarily see a performance increase if you stop some
of the processes from Task Manager or you prevent them from even
loaded at startup by using Start>Run>msconfig. But, be VERY
careful of stopping processes at startup and/or those already
running unless you are absolutely sure you don't need them and
neither does Windows itself or any of your apps. e.g., don't
delete ANY process marked "system" unless you really know what it
does, it can wound Windows or knock it over requiring a restart.

Now, since your concern is performance, are you having a problem
with a very slow boot-up or very slow performance once Windows is
up and running or both? How many apps do you have in your Start
folder? Here, reducing the number WILL improve startup times
because less must be loaded. I mentioned in a previous post that
I killed a number of processes for utility programs some of my
apps use that I KNEW were unneeded.

As to "bfltzpk.exe" (wasn't this the guy with a black cloud over
his head all the time" or any process you can't identify, you
could search the MS KB or Google for it. Some are obvious as to
their intent and operation just by there name but many are not.

My startup times are quite long but that's because I have many
apps in my start folder.

But, if your problem is drastically reduced performance when
running, has it always been slow or did it suddenly get slow
recently, e.g., after an update to Windows or some of your apps?
Have you done a comprehensive malware scan with as many strong
utilities as possible starting with the monthly Windows Malicious
Software Removal Tool and a full system-wide scan using your
favorite anti-virus utility? Have you tried both Ad-Aware and Spy
Bot Search & Destroy to look for unused or dangerous cookies and
possible spyware? There are other utilities I use personally but
I am not clear exactly what you're having trouble with.

If you only have some 30 running processes, you're running a
pretty lean system and if "bfltzpk.exe" is the only unknown app,
it should be easy to kill it and see if it improves things.
However, if you somehow got infected with some kind of malware,
and this app is really that, it may prevent you from stopping its
process and may also prevent you from running malware scans.
Those are two things all the dangerous malware does to try to
prevent people from un-infecting their PCs.

If you are infected with malware and cannot fix it any other way,
try booting into safe mode and try getting rid of it. If you
understand the dangers of messing with the Registry, you can also
Google for freeware Registry editors that are far better than
regedit.exe or buy a comprehensive utility such as JV16 Power
Tools, and search for all instances of app(s) or processes you
believe are causing you trouble.

NOW FOR THE BIG ONE: BEFORE YOU DO /ANYTHING/, BE SURE TO SET A
SYSTEM RESTORE POINT TO ENABLE YOU TO ROLL BACK YOUR SYSTEM
SHOULD YOUR CHANGES KILL WINDOWS.

Good luck and please clarify if I misunderstood your question.

payne
Jim
2008-02-10 17:15:07 UTC
Well, mine has 70 processes. However, the System Idle process is taking up
98%.

I for one don't see how the number of processes, by itself, that might have
some task to perform sometime in the future has much to do with performance.
Except of course if you have deleted a process which needs to run.

As for your ram percentage, it isn't real clear to me what 38% means. Does
that indicate that 62% of the memory is free (not assigned to any process)?
Jim
payne
2008-02-10 17:37:01 UTC
i have a google widget that tells me the CPU speed and ram %. After reading
your post i tend to wonder if i am taking this to far. Because there is no
lagging effects the machine works great and the CPU acts accordingly. I am
only concerned because i have been told that you only want about 40 processes
running. These are brand new dell computers and we only have had them for
about 3 months. so i just assumed that we would have the exact same stuff
going on. since i take care of maintenance on both machines.
David H. Lipman
2008-02-10 17:53:36 UTC
From: "payne" <***@discussions.microsoft.com>

| i have a google widget that tells me the CPU speed and ram %. After reading
| your post i tend to wonder if i am taking this to far. Because there is no
| lagging effects the machine works great and the CPU acts accordingly. I am
| only concerned because i have been told that you only want about 40 processes
| running. These are brand new dell computers and we only have had them for
| about 3 months. so i just assumed that we would have the exact same stuff
| going on. since i take care of maintenance on both machines.

What OS are you using ?
--
Dave
Ken Blake, MVP
2008-02-10 18:28:48 UTC
On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:37:01 -0800, payne
Post by payne
i have a google widget that tells me the CPU speed and ram %. After reading
your post i tend to wonder if i am taking this to far. Because there is no
lagging effects the machine works great and the CPU acts accordingly. I am
only concerned because i have been told that you only want about 40 processes
running.
You have been told wrong. Many people have many more than that and
experience no problems at all. The number is not important, but
*which* are running may be.

When you say "ram %," are you talking about how much is used? Wanting
to minimize the amount of memory Windows uses is a counterproductive
desire. Windows is designed to use all, or nearly all, of your memory,
all the time, and that's good not bad. Free memory is wasted memory.
You paid for it all and shouldn't want to see any of it wasted.

Windows works hard to find a use for all the memory you have all the
time. For example if your apps don't need some of it, it will use that
part for caching, then give it back when your apps later need it. In
this way Windows keeps all or most of your memory working for you all
the time.

When you say "the machine works great," be happy with that, and don't
go looking for trouble. If you start fooling around stopping processes
or trying to tweak memory usage, you are far more like to create a
problem than to solve one. You haven't reported anything that sounds
like a problem.
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Bruce Chambers
2008-02-10 17:54:52 UTC
Post by payne
And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical computer and all
same components. He has 48 processes and ram at 26%. What do i do from here.
Don't know. It's help if you were to tell us what you hope to accomplish.
--
Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
payne
2008-02-10 18:38:01 UTC
i want to be able to stop unimportant processes from running. and i want to
free up RAM. i was told that 60 is way to many processes from dell support.
So I am trying to learn how to do this so i can make our computer last for a
long time and not have to pay someone in a year because it is slowing down.
prevenetive maintence measures.
~ Denis Diderot
David H. Lipman
2008-02-10 19:25:03 UTC
From: "payne" <***@discussions.microsoft.com>

| i want to be able to stop unimportant processes from running. and i want to
| free up RAM. i was told that 60 is way to many processes from dell support.
| So I am trying to learn how to do this so i can make our computer last for a
| long time and not have to pay someone in a year because it is slowing down.
| prevenetive maintence measures.

Please read MS MVP Ken Blakes's reply and please answer my question.

What OS are you using ?
--
Dave
b***@aol.com

~ Denis Diderot
Gerry
2008-02-10 22:35:36 UTC
Payne

How much RAM memory is installed?

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to select Task Manager and click the Performance
Tab. Under Commit Charge what is the Total, the Limit and the Peak?

You should be able to gather more information from Task Manager. With
the Processes tab open select View, Select, Columns and check the boxes
before Peak Memory Usage and Virtual Memory size. What are the figures
for the 6 processes using the largest amounts?

You should not use msconfig sepite what others have suggested. Not only
does it not disclosed all processes loading but you can create problems
not knowing what each item represents.

Use Autoruns to investigate your 61 processes
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/ProcessesAndThreads/Autoruns.mspx

With Autoruns you can uncheck an item, which disables it from starting,
or you can can right click an item and then delete it. If you uncheck
you can recheck to re-enable the item. It is a much safer approach than
editing the Registry. Another useful feature of the programme is that
you can right click an item and select Search Online to get information
about the item selected.
--
Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~ Denis Diderot
payne
2008-02-10 22:57:00 UTC
i have 2 gigs. i am so confused on the direction everyone is telling me to
go. Wouldnt i want to free up ram for other applications to use it. My main
and only question as stated before how do stop all of these processes from
running which is tying up the ram. Would i want ram available. Since if i
running a virus scan wouldn't i want more RAM available for other
applications. The more processes running the more ram is used as of right
now.
~ Denis Diderot
Jim
2008-02-10 23:09:16 UTC
Post by payne
i have 2 gigs. i am so confused on the direction everyone is telling me to
go. Wouldnt i want to free up ram for other applications to use it. My main
and only question as stated before how do stop all of these processes from
running which is tying up the ram. Would i want ram available. Since if i
running a virus scan wouldn't i want more RAM available for other
applications. The more processes running the more ram is used as of right
now.
Well, yes, more processes use more ram. However, you are nowhere near to
the state of being out of ram.
XP tries desparate to use as much ram as possible to cut down on paging. As
near as I can see, you don't have
a problem to solve.
Jim
~ Denis Diderot
Gerry
2008-02-10 23:57:46 UTC
Payne

It seem likely that you have no need to worry with 2 gb RAM installed
but please answer my other questions.

Post by Bruce Chambers
Post by payne
And my Ram is always at 38%. My brother has the identical
computer and all same components. He has 48 processes and ram at
26%. What do i do from here.
Don't know. It's help if you were to tell us what you hope to accomplish.
--
Bruce Chambers
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin
Franklin
Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do.
~Bertrand Russell
The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest
has killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
John John
2008-02-11 19:07:53 UTC
I think that you have been given a bit of a run-around with this, so I
will now add my two cents and take this to the other extreme, I will
take a contrary approach and be the Devil's advocate.

Never mind RAM usage, how much of it should or should not be used, and
how much is enough or too little or too much. What others have said is
mostly all true and I have no intentions of touching RAM usage here.

Instead lets talk about useless clutter! It is up to you, and only you,
to decide what you want running on your computer. You should run what
you think is useful and kill what you think is useless clutter.

Useless clutter is just that, stuff that you hardly ever use and that
does not need to run for nothing on your computer. It can potentially
slow down the startup and shutdown times, it can cause conflicts with
other things, it makes it harder to keep an eye on the running state of
the computer, it makes it more difficult to get "intimate" with the
operating system and what should really be running for *your* needs.
Once you get to know the processes and services that run on your machine
then you will have better control over what goes on with the computer.

As I see it now, you look at your Task Manager and you see 61 processes
and you haven't got a clue as to what any of them do. You could have
spyware in the list and you wouldn't even know it! By getting rid of
useless clutter you will get the list down to what *you* want running on
the computer and you will get to know what the processes are. As you
get used to the list you will know what should and what shouldn't be in
the list, and as soon as the list changes you will be able to spot the
changes almost immediately. As it is now there might be 62 processes in
your list tomorrow and you wouldn't even know what new process added
itself to the list.

Now, what should you have running? I don't know, that is up to you to
decide. This is what I will tell you, there are only six (6) critical
Windows XP system services! These critical system services are:

- Csrss.exe (Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem)
- Lsass.exe (Local Security Authority Service)
- Smss.exe (Session Manager Subsystem)
- RpcSs (Remote Procedure Call Server Service)*
- Winlogon.exe (Windows logon process)
- services.exe (Windows Service Controller)

* Runs inside one of the SVChost.exe. Not critical in its own right but
hardly anything runs without it.

So there you have it, the 6 critical processes, without these 6 items
things don't work too well! Along with that the Task Manager would show:

- System (the kernel or kernel-mode threads)
- System Idle Process (Not a process or service but a single thread that
runs on each processor, its sole task is to account for processor time
spent doing nothing.)

And there you have it, plain and simply the minimum 8 items that will or
should always show in the Task Manager, add the Task Manager itself to
the list and it will give you 9 processes. Anything else is fair game
and entirely up to you to decide if it should or should not run. Of
course others will say that you need or should have this or that and
they may or may not be right, it's up to you to decide. For example,
you will almost certainly want to have Explorer.exe in the list, so
don't try to kill it! If you have a printer you will probably want
Spoolsv.exe running, you don't have a printer, you say? Then there is
no need to have the Print Spooler service running, it's that simple.

Start by removing unwanted or unneeded applications from the startup
locations. Click or right-click on the icons in the Notification Area
or go in the programs themselves and see if they have an option to
remove themselves from the startup locations. If you really have
absolutely no need for the applications then you can uninstall them. If
you don't know what the processes are then search for the process name
on the internet. Places like
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm have
information about many of the processes that may be running on your
computer. Some of these programs can be real pests, they may not have
obvious options to allow you to remove them from the start locations, in
these cases helper applications like CodeStuff Starter
http://codestuff.tripod.com/products_starter.html and AutoRuns
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx can be
useful. Be careful with AutoRuns, don't disable things that you are
unsure of.

After you get rid of unwanted applications get rid on unneeded services.
Get rid of the applications first because some of these applications
may in turn start certain services, so getting rid of the applications
first may automatically remove some of the unneeded services. These
sites will help you identify the Windows services and explain their use:

http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm

Keep in mind that just because I said that Windows XP can run with 6
services that doesn't mean that you should run it that way or that you
should disable almost all the services! Do your research before you go
about disabling things. As I said earlier, it is your computer, it is
up to you to decide what you want running on it. Never mind what others
say, that 61 is too many or that 20 is too little or that 40 is about
right, none of that is true, what is true and right is what you want
running on your computer! Only you can decide that.

John